Filing season began a little more than a week ago, and while some taxpayers have already filed their 2015 returns, many others are still gathering receipts and shopping around for a tax professional. To help the latter group, the IRS suggested ten things to do when choosing a tax preparer.
Here’s the checklist:
- Check the Preparer’s Qualifications.
- Check the Preparer’s History.
- Ask about Service Fees.
- Ask to E-file Your Return.
- Make Sure the Preparer is Available.
- Provide Records and Receipts.
- Never Sign a Blank Return.
- Review Your Return Before Signing.
- Ensure the Preparer Signs and Includes Their PTIN.
- Report Abusive Tax Preparers to the IRS.
Source: Internal Revenue Service